SOLVED

Creating a workbook that is protected and viewable

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to create an excel work book that is viewable by anyone that wants to look at it, but still password protected so only a few people can edit it. I've set up a password, but those that don't have the password can not view it. Essentially anyone should still have readable rights to the spreadsheet and only a few should be able to edit it. Is there a better way to do this?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Neatwork (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Neatwork 

Press F12 to activate the Save As dialog.

Click the Tools drop down to the left of the Save button and select General Options...

HansVogelaar_0-1683841407195.png

In the resulting dialog, leave the Password to open box empty, and enter a password in the Password to modify box, then click OK. You'll have to enter the password again as confirmation.

HansVogelaar_2-1683841577449.png

Finally, save the workbook.

@Hans Vogelaar 

That did the trick, thank you for the fix. I was just missing the "Tools" section.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Neatwork (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Neatwork 

Press F12 to activate the Save As dialog.

Click the Tools drop down to the left of the Save button and select General Options...

HansVogelaar_0-1683841407195.png

In the resulting dialog, leave the Password to open box empty, and enter a password in the Password to modify box, then click OK. You'll have to enter the password again as confirmation.

HansVogelaar_2-1683841577449.png

Finally, save the workbook.

View solution in original post