SOLVED

Creating a training matrix from a dataset

Copper Contributor

Trying to create an employee training matrix from a dataset of employee training records. A simple pivot table would suffice if only it would insert the "course date" as text, and not summarize it as either count/sum. Are tables the solution? Some other tool? I manually transferred the below data (left) to the desired matrix format (right), below. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 3.07.35 AM.png

3 Replies

@cderaaf 

Dataset:

NameCourseCourse Date
SmithWHMIS15/03/2020
D'AmicoWorking at Heights

20/02/2016
D'AmicoAsbestos25/04/2019
CulbertsonBasics of Supervising04/02/2020
CulbertsonLockout & Tagout17/07/2016
CulbertsonWHMIS31/03/2019
CulbertsonAsbestos19/03/2020
CulbertsonWorking at Heights04/05/2019
Mastroluisi  
best response confirmed by cderaaf (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Untitled.png

@cderaaf 

Two methods.

First:
With Pivot Table. Click one of the cells of your data (for example cell A2) and then create a Pivot Table in same sheet when you are working. In my example I have created it in cell E13.

• Draw the fields as I have made (see the printscreen).
  • In the VALUES box right click on Count of Course Date and in Value Field Settings choose Product.
  • Select cells F13:J18 and format them as date.

Second:
In colum E create a list with unique names.
In cell F2 apply below formula:

=IFERROR(INDEX($C$2:$C$20,MATCH(1,INDEX(($A$2:$A$20=$E2)*($B$2:$B$20=F$1),),0)),"")

drag it right and than down. Format cells F2:J5 as date.

You can download my file at this link:  https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ah_p7p0xkR5RnWoDDtSELLY1zuHA?e=pfd5SJ

Hope this hepls.

Regards,

IlirU

Thank you! That helped. For some reason my Mac version of Excel was returning "0"'s and converting to dates was resulting in a 1900-01-01 date. Using my Windows version of excel and your above solution worked (both methods)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by cderaaf (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Untitled.png

@cderaaf 

Two methods.

First:
With Pivot Table. Click one of the cells of your data (for example cell A2) and then create a Pivot Table in same sheet when you are working. In my example I have created it in cell E13.

• Draw the fields as I have made (see the printscreen).
  • In the VALUES box right click on Count of Course Date and in Value Field Settings choose Product.
  • Select cells F13:J18 and format them as date.

Second:
In colum E create a list with unique names.
In cell F2 apply below formula:

=IFERROR(INDEX($C$2:$C$20,MATCH(1,INDEX(($A$2:$A$20=$E2)*($B$2:$B$20=F$1),),0)),"")

drag it right and than down. Format cells F2:J5 as date.

You can download my file at this link:  https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ah_p7p0xkR5RnWoDDtSELLY1zuHA?e=pfd5SJ

Hope this hepls.

Regards,

IlirU

View solution in original post