Creating a tournament table with an automatic points system

Copper Contributor

Hi 

So, I am creating a tournament table for a small tournament that some friends, and I are hosting. 

We have 8 teams, spread out over 4 matches, a semifinal, and a final. The pointsystem is not too important at this time, it is more the functionality of it, so it can be used for future tournaments, and we can build upon it.  

The setup is something like this:

Match 1: Team 1 Vs. Team 2

Match 2: Team 3 Vs. Team 4

Match 3: Team 5 Vs. Team 6

Match 4: Team 7 Vs. Team 8

For the inevitable winner, and loser values needed, I have a second sheet, in this winning is supposed to equal 2, losing to equal 1, and an unfinished game is a null value for both teams. What I am looking to do, is linking the various teams in the ''Team''-section, to the respective teams in the various matches, in such a way that when a team wins, two points is added to their total score, and the team is moved up to the appropriate position. For Example, Match 1 is over, Team 2 won, when setting them as the winner of the match, I imagine using a drop-down menu, where you can choose ''Winner'', ''Loser'' or ''Unfinished'', with the respective values underlying the text, the two points are added, and their position changes. Is there any way to achieve this? 

I currently have a patch-work solution using a LOOKUP-formula, currently just for Team 1, where it is referencing the specific cell of the drop-down menu, and the data sheet, but this would be a rather tedious solution for each team. 

Also, is there a way for teams designated as 'Winners', to automatically be moved on to the semifinals for example? 

0 Replies