Creating a reference link FOR TEXT to a cell in another workbook

Copper Contributor

Hi there! Is it possible to create a reference link for a cell in another workbook? It's for a cell that has text, not numbers/data/formulas. I can use the = sign to create a reference link within the workbook but not to another workbook. Ideas?

6 Replies

@lynnewisconsin 

Open both workbooks.

Activate the cell where you want the formula.

Press =

Switch to the other workbook, for example by pressing Ctrl+F6 one or more times.

Activate the worksheet with the cell you want to link to, then click on that cell.

Press Ctrl+Enter to confirm the formula.

You should see a formula similar to

='[Other Workbook.xlsx]Other Sheet'!$D$2

Now switch to the other workbook again and close it (saving changes if necessary).

Excel will automatically add the full path of that workbook to the formula.

It will look similar to

='C:\MyFolder\MySubfolder\[Other Workbook.xlsx]Other Sheet'!$D$2

Finally, save the workbook with the formula.

P.S. You can also type in the formula, following the pattern of the previous example. But it's much easier to point to the workbook, worksheet and cell.

@Hans Vogelaar Thanks for trying but I'm not trying to link to a formula. It's TEXT. I'm thinking it's not possible. I've tried everything I can think of.

@lynnewisconsin 

The formula that I posted should work, regardless of whether the cell that the formula refers to contains a formula or not.

It didn't work. Is it because I'm linking the Excel cell to a Microsoft Teams spreadsheet from an Excel spreadsheet in SharePoint? They're both on my company's network.

@lynnewisconsin 

That might well be, but I have no experience with that setup, sorry.

I appreciate you trying! :)