Creating a Product Selector

Copper Contributor

Hello I am trying to create a Product Selector based on information selected from drop down menus.

I am trying to achieve:

Worksheet Product Selector: When the user selects '300mm2' from ~Worksheet 'DROPDOWN LIST' (Cell B4) it should populate Worksheet Product  Selector (Cell K4) with (Cell G2) C300 - Crimp 300mm2 copper cable  from Worksheet 'DROPDOWN LIST'

Badgesr456_0-1633601806672.png

Please can you help me with creating the right formulae?

I tried IF and VLookup.

Any advice welcome, thank you.

Toby

6 Replies

@Badgesr456 Why not upload the file you are working on. Screenshots aren't really useful.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Thanks you please see attached

@Badgesr456 Thanks! You might need to re-think your design, as you probably want to work with dependent dropdown lists. But, if that's not the case, perhaps the formula (L8 in the Dropdown sheet) in the attached file will do for you. It's not really straightforward, but it work is this specific case.

@Riny_van_Eekelen
Thank you very much

@Riny_van_Eekelen

Hello Riny, Sorry to trouble you again

The seems to be an issue with the result

50mm should be C50 not C150

Please see attached

Can you help, thanks

@Badgesr456 Aha! that's because "50mm2" is first found in "150mm2". To overcome, you could add a space before the item from the dropdown list. Thus " 50mm2". See attached.

BUT, this is not very professional, and I believe you need to redesign your schedule. If you have a dropdown list to begin with, and each item relates to only one other item, why not work with one of Excel's lookup functions. Which version are you working with. But perhaps I'm misunderstanding your intentions altogether.