Creating a dynamic database

Copper Contributor

Hi, I hope someone can help.

I have created a workbook (The Master Quote System) to dynamically calculate Commercial Insurance Quotations.

It has several dynamic worksheets within the workbook subject to how certain questions are answered. Within the same workbook, I have created a single line Database that collects all the information captured from each worksheet.

I have built a second workbook (The Master Database) that replicates the Database content from the Master Quote System workbook.

What I want the second Workbook to do, is dynamically record (next row down) the data input from the Master Quote System everytime it is completed. Here are my question(s)

1. Do I need to save a version of the Master Quote System for each individual quote and create a new file name ?

2. How do I get the data from the above quotation to sequentially drop into the next row down on the Master Database?

I have coded the Master Database to transfer the data from the Master Quote System - which works fine. 

But, if I save the Master Quote System in the name of the individual client, The Master Database picks it up in the name of the client. I need it to then pick up the next client quote.

Is this possible or am I approaching the process in the wrong way?

Regards

Jonathan

4 Replies

@Jon_Hemmings 

Is it possible to post copies of your actual spreadsheets? Or, if the originals include confidential or proprietary info, then post mockups that use false names, but otherwise replicate the layouts that you're referring to.

It should indeed be possible to accomplish what you want, but we need to gain a lot more clarity on exactly what that is....sadly words alone don't always give that clarity. And images add, but the best would be an actual example of the workbook(s) that you're working with.

@mathetes 

Hi, Thanks for the quick response.

Is it possible to do this as a Teams meeting and for me to share via screenshare and talk you through it? 

The Workbook I have built is confidential in terms of it's new and different and tackling a large gap in the UK commercial insurance market - so as you can imagine I am a little nervous sending out, as it's a major part of my new company offering. Appreciate that this forum is also there to help others but i need to be really careful. In other circumstances I would.

Let me know.

Regards

Jon

That would be possible, but from what you just said it seems far more appropriate for you to find and hire an Excel expert there in the UK to work with you....I just volunteer some time here to help individuals (who, yes, sometimes have work-related workbooks). What you're doing requires and deserves a deeper commitment.
Ok that makes sense. Thankyou anyway,