SOLVED

Creating a chart

Copper Contributor

This I'm sure is super simple, and I feel super stupid. I'm attempting to create a simple chart in Excel from just 5 sets of data (Excel file attached). I want it to look like this, just updated. I am having a heckuva time getting the chart to work. Come on, what's the secret?

Ted_W1855_0-1619322475979.png

4 Replies
best response confirmed by JonPeltier (MVP)
Solution

@Ted_W1855 No real secrets, but the last four numbers in your list are texts. How did you enter them? Just retype them and it will work as desired.

Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 06.53.17.png

@Riny_van_EekelenDuh! Too easy. Now I feel really stupid. Thanks for your prompt reply.

Similar problem, and perhaps I haven't looked closely enough at the charts in the past. Data in Excel is in two columns, Date and Weight (for my dog). The weights graph correctly but the dates do not. By default, the dates on the horizontal axis go in one month increments from whatever the first date was. I want Excel to plot exactly what the data says. Is there a way to do that? The resulting chart works (in that it shows an overall trend) but it bugs me that the axis labels are exactly 1 month apart, and the actual data points are hidden unless you click on the chart, then click on the line. It does appear that the weights are "between" the axis labels, so the chart is technically correct.

@AlohaBill77 Not really similar, so it would have been better to open a new thread fro your question.

Right-click on the horizontal axis and choose to format it. Then you should see an option that sets the major units to 1 month. You can change it to 1 day, or 7 days, if you so desire. But it could clutter the axis, especially if you have many data points or if you are covering a long period.

Example (screenshots taken on a Mac, but it's similar on a PC)

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 07.16.16.png

To:

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 07.16.36.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JonPeltier (MVP)
Solution

@Ted_W1855 No real secrets, but the last four numbers in your list are texts. How did you enter them? Just retype them and it will work as desired.

Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 06.53.17.png

View solution in original post