SOLVED

create rank top 10 and lowest 10 of students score ( no duplicate rank ) include 0 value,category

Copper Contributor

hi i am currently trying to create a auto sorting data of rank out of a list of student's score list.

in a separate worksheet ,whenever i would like see rank either top 10 or lowest 10 of certain category.

as i had attached the file the i am currently work on.appreciate your time and help !

cheers

5 Replies
best response confirmed by agusgusto (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@agusgustoPlease see if the formula in the attached workbook work for you.

Top scores by location:

=SORTBY(FILTER(data!C5:C11,data!B5:B11=$C$5,"-"),FILTER(data!AI5:AI11,data!B5:B11=$C$5,"-"),-1)

Bottom scores by location

=SORTBY(FILTER(data!C5:C11,data!B5:B11=$C$5,"-"),FILTER(data!AI5:AI11,data!B5:B11=$C$5,"-"),1)

Rank per class:

=SORTBY(FILTER(data!C5:C11,data!A5:A11=$C$5,"-"),FILTER(data!AI5:AI11,data!A5:A11=$C$5,"-"),-1)

I would recommend that, in your real schedules, you use structured tables and/or dynamic named ranges. This will avoid you from having to update the cell references every time the data ranges change. 

Furthermore, consider getting rid of merged cells. You seem to use them for cosmetic reasons only.  And make sure that the location names and class codes are spelled exactly the same in both the data and the ranking tables. I found both locations "sumatra" and "sumatra " (i.e. with a space at the end). Similarly for classes, I found "C" and "C ".

@Riny_van_Eekelen 
indeed you are a truly master,i owe you this time.thanks once again to spare your time and humbly fix my excell issue,will have it fix and wont merge cell anymore... thanks a million!

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

i found out in mya 2007 excell i couldnt find  "SORTBY  OR FILTER " function is there any other way to find the same result in older version of excell ?

Cheers

@agusgusto Yes! Possible, but the formulae would be quite complicated and not very user friendly and therefore difficult to maintain and adapt to your real situation, which probably isn't as simple as the example file you provided. I favour a more straight-forward approach that should also work in E2007. Pivot tables are great to do exactly what you want, and they are not very difficult to learn.  I've added a few pivot tables to your file (attached below) to demonstrate their use. Give it a try!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by agusgusto (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@agusgustoPlease see if the formula in the attached workbook work for you.

Top scores by location:

=SORTBY(FILTER(data!C5:C11,data!B5:B11=$C$5,"-"),FILTER(data!AI5:AI11,data!B5:B11=$C$5,"-"),-1)

Bottom scores by location

=SORTBY(FILTER(data!C5:C11,data!B5:B11=$C$5,"-"),FILTER(data!AI5:AI11,data!B5:B11=$C$5,"-"),1)

Rank per class:

=SORTBY(FILTER(data!C5:C11,data!A5:A11=$C$5,"-"),FILTER(data!AI5:AI11,data!A5:A11=$C$5,"-"),-1)

I would recommend that, in your real schedules, you use structured tables and/or dynamic named ranges. This will avoid you from having to update the cell references every time the data ranges change. 

Furthermore, consider getting rid of merged cells. You seem to use them for cosmetic reasons only.  And make sure that the location names and class codes are spelled exactly the same in both the data and the ranking tables. I found both locations "sumatra" and "sumatra " (i.e. with a space at the end). Similarly for classes, I found "C" and "C ".

View solution in original post