SOLVED

Create a Table with the top 2 rows as header

Iron Contributor

I have a new Excel sheet pre-formatted and ready to convert to a table. The top two rows are intended to be the header. The data is intended to start on the 3rd row. I can't get the "Insert table" function to format this configuration. When I attempt to format the sheet as a table with headers, it places the header in the row 3, which is where my data should start, and my intended header rows do not become the header. Please reference the attached file. How is this supposed to be done?

I need a row to sum each of the columns as rows are added to the table.

8 Replies

@wcstarks You simply can't have a structured table with two header rows. Just call the headers R-250, R-500 etc. and L-250, L-500 etc. or something similar.

Thank you. The colored coding means red right and blue left. So, I can use that to distinguish

@wcstarks Indeed you can't . Table headers are just texts. You can't reference to a "red header" or a "blue header".

I see that each column header needs a unique name, so I adopted your suggestion (R-250, etc.)
The data are numbers. minus numbers indicate reducing the db (loudness) and positive indicates increasing db for each frequency. I would like to have row 2 sum each column as rows are add to the table to provide a net db change for each frequency. I am not sure how to do that when the summation row is situated before the the regular data rows. Is this possible? See attachment.

@wcstarks But there are no numbers in row 2. So I don't understand what you want to achieve. Can you enter som realistic numbers and manually add the sum you would want to see.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Here is the table with a summation row below the table, with data in the first column. I was wondering if the summation row can be placed in row 2 instead of following the table. In row 2, it would need to sum all rows below it in the table and update as new rows are added. I suspect that is not possible, as the summation function naturally want to sum rows above it.

best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@wcstarks What if you put the Net Adj above the table? Using structured references will ensure that the total dynamically updates when you add rows to the table.

See attached.

That Works. Thanks.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@wcstarks What if you put the Net Adj above the table? Using structured references will ensure that the total dynamically updates when you add rows to the table.

See attached.

View solution in original post