SOLVED

counting rows sequentially in a column for a large spreadsheet

Copper Contributor

I attached the problem, basically, I am trying to start counting in cell e3, which is the cell that has nothing above it, and the cell that has no name in it like in cell A2.  when I get done counting sequentially at the bottom, there will be a blank with a new string in A44,  once that happens I want to start over.  I need to be able to paste this all the way down where it starts over,  the string in a2 is a name, and the descending order in column c needs to stay descending. 

4 Replies
best response confirmed by bdog2021 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@bdog2021 

Hi

One way. In E3 and copy down

=IFS(AND(ISNUMBER(A3),NOT(ISNUMBER(E2))),1, NOT(ISNUMBER(A3)),"", TRUE,E2+1)

Updated sample attached

@bdog2021 

Check the modified formula in cell E4,,, I do believe this is what your were looking for,,, if my suggested formula works for you then you may accept my post as Best Answer as well Like.

thank you  @L z.  , this is excellent.  one question though, ?  would be for some reason when I double click to copy down the larger version of spreadsheet it stops and I have to manually drag it down.  any suggestions. 

@bdog2021 

No idea why. Instead of using a Range format your data as a Table where formulas, cells format... are auto applied to new rows

If you go with the Table option:

- Delete the column (E in your sample) where the formula I suggested sits

- Format columns A:D as Table

- Enter something meaningful in E1 (the Table auto enlarge to inc. that new column)

- In E1:

=IFS(AND(ISNUMBER(A2),NOT(ISNUMBER(E1))),1, NOT(ISNUMBER(A2)),"", TRUE,E1+1)

The formula should auto copy down till the end of the Table you created

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by bdog2021 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@bdog2021 

Hi

One way. In E3 and copy down

=IFS(AND(ISNUMBER(A3),NOT(ISNUMBER(E2))),1, NOT(ISNUMBER(A3)),"", TRUE,E2+1)

Updated sample attached

View solution in original post