SOLVED

Countif formula not counting correctly

Copper Contributor

I have been trying to insert a =COUNTIF formula (and consequently, SUMIF formulas) for several days. However, I keep having the recurring issue of either, the values totally to 0 - or most recently the values not totalling correctly - the total of each cell should in several cases be far higher than the actual number returned. My COUNTIF formula, in each cell looks similar to this: =COUNTIF(A:A,K14). I have also tried =COUNTIF(A:A,"X[word searching for]"), which is returning the same problem.

My second column, with formulas in like this: =SUMIF(A:A,K2,I:I) also is having the same problem of not totalling some cells correctly.

I have tried searching for answers to this but to no avail - the calculation mode is in Automatic and I don't seem to have any errors in the writing of each formula. I have tried opening the document via Microsoft 365 online and using the application, both of which still have the same error.

Would you be able to advise where I might be going wrong?

Many thanks in advance.

3 Replies

@SC976816 

Can you add a screenshot or upload a file without sensitive data which shows the data and the applied formulas?

best response confirmed by SC976816 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
It's difficult to offer a solution without seeing the workbook. It might be worth making your ranges specific in the COUNTIF and SUMIF instead of pointing to entire columns (e.g. A:A or I:I).

Unfortunately not I'm afraid - but thankfully I've finally managed to figure out what was wrong! I think it was due to the text format in column A being slightly wrong which I've amended and that seems to have worked. Thanks so much for your help. @OliverScheurich 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by SC976816 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
It's difficult to offer a solution without seeing the workbook. It might be worth making your ranges specific in the COUNTIF and SUMIF instead of pointing to entire columns (e.g. A:A or I:I).

View solution in original post