Count vlookup columns

Copper Contributor

Hello,

My computer recently updated its Excel Office 365 version.  Prior to the update, whenever I performed a vlookup, for the second input, I would usually highlight the columns from which I would select data from and watch the rows and column popup in the small yellow box to determine the number of columns to input in the third field.  However, the popup I used to rely on is no longer in the new version of Excel.  Is there a way I can get it back?

To make my question more clear, the required inputs for vlookup are:

VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,[range_lookup])

During the "table_array" portion is where I usually highlight the letters of the columns I need.  Depending on the worksheet I'm using, my vlookup might need to span from Column A to Column BD.  When this is the case, it is time consuming to manually count each column in between to find the value for "col_index_num".  I don't want to include the specific row numbers as part of my table_array input because I may add more rows at a later time.  The popup box was the easiest way to determine the col_index_num, I'm hoping there is a setting I can change to get it back.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

17 Replies

Do you mean the small box that shown in below screenshot?

2017-12-20_21-03-53.png

Yes.  The box only appears when I highlight a block of cells, but it no longer appears when I highlight columns for the vlookup.

As a note, it DOES still appear when I highlight columns by themselves apart from the vlookup, but when I am highlighting during the vlookup, the column counter box no longer appears.

Hello,

what is your Excel version? I run Office 365 with the monthly channel and I see a box with the information at the top of the column headers when I select whole columns in the Vlookup formula ....

2017-12-21_12-49-52.png

... and a tool tip at the bottom of the selection when I select a range instead of whole columns. Do you not see these?

2017-12-21_12-52-30.png

I'm using Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus, version 1711 (Build 8730.2127).

Capture2.PNG

I'm able to see the tooltip in the second image you posted, but not the first.  Below is a screenshot of what I see when I try to highlight the columns.  There is no tooltip at all.

Capture.PNG

Take a look at the left-hand corner of the Excel window, you may find it there as shown in the below screenshot!

tooltip.png

By the way, I have this idea which is similar to this topic.

If you agree, please vote for it, your vote matters!

This is really strange, but I can suddenly see it again at the top of my screen!  (See screenshot).  This is different than the screenshot I posted yesterday.

I'm not sure whether it was appearing at the bottom of my screen yesterday as you suggested, perhaps it was and I just missed it.  As far as I know though, I don't think I did anything differently to move it back to the top today.  Maybe there was a software update overnight or something.  Nevertheless, thank you Haytham and Ingeborg for your replies!

Capture3.PNG

You're welcome!

Hello Sir i m facing problem during installation of mysql pls help to install it

@vikas singh Why are you asking this totally unrelated question about installing MySQL in another member's question about Excel? MySQL is not even a Microsoft product. This is a forum for Microsoft software. Please don't just post anywhere. Take a moment to understand what site you are on.

I love it haha

hi All,

Same problem with my excel O365 - mine version is 1805 - excel proplus

pls help?

I'm having the same issue - I just was updated to the new excel and I don't have a column count anywhere on my screen. I had my manager take a look and he doesn't have it anymore either. It vanished from his computer this week. 

I have the same case here. The only situation where it works is when the reference is inside the same workbook. The column count reference doesn't work when the formula is in one place and the reference in the other. 

Anyone has any idea on how to enable this column count?

It looks like a "new instance" issue... some other errors used to happen with vlookup formula when working on different instances...the difference now is that the error occurs even in the same instance.

@Haytham Amairahi faced the same problem with MSO 365 , but my case is if i look into a less columned document i am able to see the number of columns. If a try to fetch into a document which have a lot of column and the document size is not fitted to the default screen it can show up to 10 or 11 columns number than the info disappear.

Kindly help on that.

Thanks in advance.

MSO 365 user

Hello,

I can see the column number as you show, but I have another problem may be you could help me.

after using office 365, in the vlookup function, I could not go to the end of the selected columns by shortcut function. before I used control+spacebar, now it would not work.  I tried to use other suggestions googled online, but nothing works.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

This was very helpful only in that it made me look around for the column count. I found it moves around. I've never seen it imbedded into the bottom of the screen as Haytham showed. What I have discovered is that the count on a block will only come up if you pass the end of your window. For columns if you drag left to right the pop up can be on the top or bottom left and if you drag the opposite way the popup is on the other side.
I've had it work to another workbook. But @Pernille-Eskebo sometimes it does not come up at all.
Why is it not consistent like it used to be??
Thanks