SOLVED

Count if date range using subtotal

Copper Contributor

I am trying to add the subtotal function to be able to count only the filtered values. I want to count only the employees that have been hired in 2022. So, my table looks something like this:

Name Group Hiring Date

JohnA13/01/2022
PeterB12/01/2022
WesleyB07/03/2022
JenniferB18/12/2021

I was using this formula and it was working ok (where the output is equals to 3).

=COUNTIF(C2:C5,">01/01/2022")

However now my desired output in case I filter "Group B" for example will be 2.

I know that I should use subtotal but I couldn´t add the formula correctly. Can anyone help me with that?

Thanks a lot! 

@Riny_van_Eekelen maybe you can help me out with that because you already helped with something similar a few months ago!

8 Replies

@brunotavares Perhaps like this:

=COUNTIFS(C2:C5,">01/01/2022",B2:B5,"B")

@Riny_van_Eekelen
It works for group "B" but the problem is that I have a lot of different groups and the idea will be for the person to choose what he/she needed it and not having to do it every time manually =(
That is why I was thinking that the subtotal may be helpful

@brunotavares Then choose a cell where the user can enter A or B or C and link to that cell. See picture where B is entered in E3.

Screenshot 2022-01-13 at 20.31.01.png

Ok, thank you, this can a good alternative! But there is no way to do it using the subtotal function?

@brunotavares Sorry, didn't get the subtotal issue. Can you upload a file/screenshot demonstrating what you are facing?

@Riny_van_Eekelen Alright, I just attached the file with some comments and also a screenshot. The formula in yellow that I am using is 

=COUNTIF(Table6[HIRING DATE],">01/01/2022")

brunotavares_0-1642104034884.png

best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@brunotavares Why filter on GFK? Just enter the group in some other cell and use the formula I mentioned in my earlier post. Otherwise, add one more filter for the year 2022 only and then add a "Total Row" to count the number of row that fulfil the criterion.

See attached.

It is hard to explain hahah but you gave me a good idea! Thanks a lot.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@brunotavares Why filter on GFK? Just enter the group in some other cell and use the formula I mentioned in my earlier post. Otherwise, add one more filter for the year 2022 only and then add a "Total Row" to count the number of row that fulfil the criterion.

See attached.

View solution in original post