SOLVED

Copy selected columns in one sheet to another sheet

Copper Contributor

Hi, newbie here and a beginner/intermediate with Excel, so I'm looking for some help please.

I have a sheet for dog club members and their dogs, one row per member. Each member has name, address, contact etc. plus details for up to 4 of their dogs.

What I'd like to do is have some of their details from this sheet copied to a new sheet where their name is repeated for each of their dogs. First name in column A, last name in column B, class name in column C, dog name in column D.

e.g from something like this:

DateFirst NameLast NameStreet AddressDog 1 NameDog 1 BreedDog 1 classDog 2 NameDog 2 BreedDog 2 classDog 3 NameDog 3 BreedDog 3 class
4/01/2023JuSmith4th stkaykelpie3beautystaffy2BjockBC1A
10/01/2023JoeBlo2nd avemaxcollie1D      
22/02/2023clarkkent5th stzoomGSPPuppieszulupoodle1E   

To this:

First NameLast NameCurrent ClassDog Name
JuSmith3kay
JuSmith2Bbeauty
JuSmith1Ajock
JoeBlo1Dmax
clarkkentPuppieszoom
clarkkent1Ezulu

Thanks!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@MaxJock 

An alternative could be Power Query. In the attached file you can add data to the blue dynamic table. Then you can click in any cell of the green table and right-click with the mouse and select refresh to update the green result table.

The data layout in the screenshot and in the attached file is for illustration. You can place the green result table to the right of the blue table or in another worksheet.

copy selected columns.JPG

@OliverScheurich 

Yes! that works great, thank you so much!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@MaxJock 

An alternative could be Power Query. In the attached file you can add data to the blue dynamic table. Then you can click in any cell of the green table and right-click with the mouse and select refresh to update the green result table.

The data layout in the screenshot and in the attached file is for illustration. You can place the green result table to the right of the blue table or in another worksheet.

copy selected columns.JPG

View solution in original post