Copy from multiple cells - paste into one

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Can anyone help?

I would like to copy from multiple cells in one spreadsheet but paste into just one cell in another spreadsheet.

Is this possible?

Thanks

E.g.

Literal understanding
States if a book is the right way up
Can choose their own photo from choice of 2
Recognise pictures of familiar places

to become

States if a book is the right way up
Can choose their own photo from choice of 2
Recognise pictures of familiar places
3 Replies

@sclyde 

You should be able to use the CONCATENATE function to combine multiple cell (also using carriage return to allow the format you show in your example).  Let's assume your data is in cells A2:A4, the following formula will work within the same workbook.

=CONCATENATE(A2,CHAR(10),A3,CHAR(10),A4)

To do this across two workbooks, start typing the formula into the destination workbook and switch between this and the source workbook to select the cells in the formula.

My coworker is using excel on a mac. He's able to select multiple cells, copy using cmd-c, then double click on another cell (so that the cursor is in that cell), then uses cmd-v to paste all the information from those multiple cells into one. He said he was able to do the same on his windows machine when he was using windows.

Is there a way for me to do that in my excel? I'm using Windows 11, Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2211 Build 16.0.15831.20098) 64-bit

TIA
This will work when copying multiple lines of text from a text editor, such as Word or Notepad, but will not work when copying multiple cells from Excel because you lose the copied selection (the spark lines or dancing ants) as soon as you open another cell for editing (double click / F2 / formula bar).