SOLVED

Copy and Pasting Temperamental When Copying Data From Multiple Cells into One Cell

Copper Contributor

Hello,

So I work with a lot of spreadsheets and I copy data from one spreadsheet and paste it into another on a daily basis. Sometimes it allows me to copy data from three separate cells on one excel document and paste it into one single cell on another excel document. For example see the highlighted cells in the below screenshot.

KIZZA94_0-1636712718445.png

Sometimes it will work and paste as below:

KIZZA94_2-1636713072360.png

However, other times it will just not work. It will paste the three cells across three cells, but if I double click in the one cell to paste as before it will paste nothing because there is nothing on the clipboard.

I don't know why it works sometimes and doesn't work other times. 

Can anyone help? Thank you in advance.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by KIZZA94 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@KIZZA94 

Pasting multiple cells into a single cell will only work if the target workbook is open in a different instance of Excel than the source workbook. If the target workbook is open in the same instance of Excel, you won't be able to do that.

@Hans Vogelaar Thank you so much! I had no idea what an instance was but after googling it and learning how to open files under a different instance it now works as you suggested. Much appreciated!! Thanks again :)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by KIZZA94 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@KIZZA94 

Pasting multiple cells into a single cell will only work if the target workbook is open in a different instance of Excel than the source workbook. If the target workbook is open in the same instance of Excel, you won't be able to do that.

View solution in original post