Converting a CSV file to Excel without losing decimels

Copper Contributor

I have downloaded a csv file I want to convert to an Excel file. When I do the import from csv to Excel, the file loses decimels. I am opening an Excel file then going to Data tab, Get Data, From File, From Text/CSV, select file, Import. In the results, under File Origin, it reads 1252: Western European (Windows). I live in Europe but the file was downloaded from a US site. I tried selecting a few different options under File Origin to see if that would fix the lost decimel issue but didn't have luck. The problem is that in the original CSV file the amount was 2.36  and in Excel it became 236.  How do I retain the decimels or add them back in? Thanks for your help!

6 Replies

@Saramir 

I occasionally get CSV files (from financial institutions) and choose to simply open them in Excel. No need to make use of the "Get Data" routine you cite. I do that simple open in Excel by right clicking on the file name (I'm on a Mac) which then gives me the choice of what program to use in opening it; I pick Excel, and I'm done. 

Is that option available to you?

Thanks for replying! It is a file from a financial institution. I tried doing what you suggested but when I choose to open it in Excel, the data appears in a single cell with commas between each piece of data, like a CSV file. It is a credit card statement and I want the amount spent in its own cell. I am using a Windows laptop.

@Saramir 

Your phrase  the data appears in a single cell with commas between each piece of data, like a CSV file makes me wonder if it is only like a CSV without actually BEING a CSV.

How did you receive the file? What's the financial institution? Did you (yourself) export it from that institution specifically as CSV?

@mathetesI am checking. I thought I downloaded it as a CSV from Bank of America.

I have reaccessed the account to repro what I did. Yes, in order to download the file I selected Microsoft Excel Format and it automatically gave me a .csv file.   @mathetes 

@Saramir 

I have reaccessed the account to repro what I did. Yes, in order to download the file I selected Microsoft Excel Format and it automatically gave me a .csv file. 

And.....   ?

Looking for the rest of the story. Is it the same as before--still unable to open in a useful way? It's hard to believe you'd be the only customer of the bank having this difficulty. 

Is it possible to post a copy of that file? On OneDrive or GoogleDrive, if you can, with a link here that grants access.