SOLVED

Convert text into number in Excel

Copper Contributor

Hi, 
I was wondering if anyone was able to help. I've been racking my brains for ages and search countless forums to try and figure this out. 

I have a Microsoft form that has a Likert scale question and Microsoft forms does not allow for a label and a numerical score to the label. So, when I export the responses from the form into excel the response label appears rather than a score. I want to convert the label to their score/numerical value   i.e. None of the time = 1, Rarely = 2, Some of the time = 3, Often = 4, All of the time = 5 so I have numerical data to analyse.
Is there a way to convert these labels/ text in excel to their score numerical value so the responses appear as their score in the sheet? 

I really appreciate any help. 

I've put a screen cap of my Microsoft from and its excel output for reference. 

Beth97Salt_0-1632163934356.png

Beth97Salt_1-1632163976047.png

Thanks, 

Bethany 

2 Replies
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@Beth97Salt 

Unfortunately, your screenshots are so small that I cannot read them.

Press Ctrl+H to activate the Replace dialog.

Enter None of the time in the Find what box and 1 in the Replace with box, then click Replace All.

Repeat for the four other options.

@Hans Vogelaar to me you are a genius! Its worked. After hours of searching this has worked and its so simple. Thank you so much for your help. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@Beth97Salt 

Unfortunately, your screenshots are so small that I cannot read them.

Press Ctrl+H to activate the Replace dialog.

Enter None of the time in the Find what box and 1 in the Replace with box, then click Replace All.

Repeat for the four other options.

View solution in original post