SOLVED

Consecutive drop down menu

Copper Contributor

I am trying to set up an administration in Excel. In the sheet account in column C I want to fill in categories of income and expense. In column D of the sheet account I want to specify column C. But for instance if I fill in the category groceries then I want in column D only to have the option of filling in the shops named in column C of the sheet tabel. What kind of formula do I have to use in column D of the account to get this result.

I attached an example of how I want to set up the administration.

All the help is welcome and I thank you in advance.

By the way I am doing this administration in Dutch because that is my native language so I have to translate your solutions but that is no problem.

4 Replies
best response confirmed by henk1959 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@henk1959 

Dutch no problem :)

See attached workbook. It uses Named Ranges and INDIRECT in the conditional formatting for the Description dropdown. For INDIRECT to work I changed the Category "Fixed Charges" to "Fixed_Charges" (i.e. with the underscore replacing the space.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Thank you for your quick answer.

I get the impression that I am a total nitwit on Excel now. I added one category in column one of the sheet tabel and adjusted the data validation in sheet 1 with one extra cel. The extra category becomes visible in column C of sheet one. I also added one extra store in column 3 of the sheet tabel for the category groceries and the extra category from column one. These additions don't become visible in column D of sheet one. I guess the question is how can I add items in column 3 of the sheet  tabel and make the additions visible in sheet one.

If you could help me with this I am very grateful.

I added the updated excel file again

@henk1959 

Never too old to learn :)

You figured how to do Data validation. That's step 1. Now you need to understand Named ranges and the INDIRECT function. I'm on a Mac myself and don't exactly know how the screens and options look like on a PC. But it shouldn't differ much. On the Formulas ribbon you should find a button Define Name

Screenshot 2019-12-09 at 08.52.09.png

There you see the Names I've given to the different list with the Categories.

Screenshot 2019-12-09 at 08.54.47.png

Just make sure to add new Named ranges for new categories or expand existing ones if you add options.

Your Description drop-down points to a list in an absolute range "=Tabel!$A$2:$A$5" (i.e. a sheet name and cell references). The drop-down for the Category uses INDIRECT to find the source for the list. E.g. the data validation source list in column D points to "=INDIRECT(C2)". This means that it will look for the list in the Range with the Name that is in C2 (i.e. Groceries, being C7:C10 on "Tabel"). By the way, the C2 automatically becomes C3, C4 when you go down in column D.

Hope this helps!

@Riny_van_Eekelen, Thanks again and figured it out. Drop down menu's are working perfect now. I also use excel for Mac so screens looks the same ;-))
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by henk1959 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@henk1959 

Dutch no problem :)

See attached workbook. It uses Named Ranges and INDIRECT in the conditional formatting for the Description dropdown. For INDIRECT to work I changed the Category "Fixed Charges" to "Fixed_Charges" (i.e. with the underscore replacing the space.

View solution in original post