Connect to PostgreSQL with Get & Transform in Excel 2016 (Npgsql)

Copper Contributor

Hello Folks :)

As recomended by the Office Support page (link), I'd like to start a new conversation on how to ingegrate PostgreSQL in this forum as I cant find (after 2 hours of searching) any simple sollutions out there.

Am tyring to get Excel (2016 Professional 32 Bit) comunicating with a PostgreSQL Server and what is recomended to consider by the official Support Page to this topic is not enough.

Here where I got stuck running in circles.

Err2.png

Once you click, learn more you get back to the Suport page.

As recomended by the Support page, I installed Npgsql, restarted Excel *(and even the PC), ... made sure that the Npgsql is at "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL" and still am not getting any further and when searching for more info online I always only get referenced back to the same suport page (link).

Does anybody know:
1.) Is connecting to PostgreSQL a 365 only feature & if yes, shouldnt that work with Get & Transform 2016 as well ?
2.) Anybody Ideas on where I could research further into that ?

Edit 21/06 - a lot of info this problem can also be found at following page -> link

3 Replies

I have exactly the same problem with the 64-bit version. 

@Elmar Bischof wrote:

Hello Folks :)

As recomended by the Office Support page (link), I'd like to start a new conversation on how to ingegrate PostgreSQL in this forum as I cant find (after 2 hours of searching) any simple sollutions out there.

Am tyring to get Excel (2016 Professional 32 Bit) comunicating with a PostgreSQL Server and what is recomended to consider by the official Support Page to this topic is not enough.

Here where I got stuck running in circles.

Err2.png

Once you click, learn more you get back to the Suport page.

As recomended by the Support page, I installed Npgsql, restarted Excel *(and even the PC), ... made sure that the Npgsql is at "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL" and still am not getting any further and when searching for more info online I always only get referenced back to the same suport page (link).

Does anybody know:
1.) Is connecting to PostgreSQL a 365 only feature & if yes, shouldnt that work with Get & Transform 2016 as well ?
2.) Anybody Ideas on where I could research further into that ?

Edit 21/06 - a lot of info this problem can also be found at following page -> link

Did you solve the problem?

Hello.
Yes and No.

Yes: It was recently solved by our IT Department, by them buying the license to have PowerBI Server through which you can also deploy reports as web links to users. At the Server Setup it worked to get it connected straight away.

No: Did never get it to run directly into the Postgres from a PowerBi Pptx file.

Work Arround that I used for a while:
I set up a FTP routine shedule in our reporting software that dumped the data that I needed on to a secured folder on the local drives, where I rolled out the PowerBi file in question. PowerBi has an organisational access validation integrated that enabled those that needed to read the source data in the secured folder. Still a bad & sad workaround in comparison to the server solution, but it works.