Connect to an Oracle database.

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone. I am new to Excel development and need to connect to an Oracle database. I am using Excel 2019 (64 bit) on Windows 10 (64 bit). I downloaded the Oracle client and installed it. I set up the TNS file to connect to the database, but even after all the configurations Excel warns that the Oracle components are missing for the connection.
What should I do for Excel to "find" the Oracle components to connect?

10 Replies

@tiagoce  I also have the same problem. When going to get data tab there is no option to get data from Oracle Database. 

@Maria1105 

Please check here https://support.office.com/en-us/article/where-is-get-transform-power-query-e9332067-8e49-46fc-97ff-... if Orcale connector is available for your version of Excel.

@Sergei Baklan 

Oracle database is available for my version of Excel (at least should be) but still I don't have that option in Excel.

@Elarr250 

Strange. Are you on 2019/2021 Pro or on 365 Enterprise and is that Windows?

@Sergei Baklan Yes, it is strange.

I use Microsoft 365 Apps for business and operation system is Windows10.

Is it possible that some kind a update change something?

I can also share picture:No_Oracle database.png

@Elarr250 

Oracle connector is not available for 365 Business subscription, only for Enterprise one (e.g. E3). 

You may try to M-code this connection Oracle.Database - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Learn directly, but I'm not sure will it work or not.

@Elarr250 

Connector available on a basic/perso 365 subscription so you should have it:

Sample.png

@L z. 

It looks like Microsoft changed availability of connectors for Business subscriptions.

@Sergei Baklan 

Can I somehow install that connector? Or we need to change our subscription?

@Elarr250 

Nope, you can't install the connector. As @L z. mentioned it looks like it appears on Business subscriptions, perhaps depends on channel. Again, another variant is to try it from M-code.