Conditional or dependent drop down list

Copper Contributor

Trying to create a conditional or dependent drop down list for my Maintenance Down Time sheet.  I've created the first drop down list but when I tried to create a dependent drop down list I couldn't figure it out.  Went to Google but it's telling me to click on "name management" icon which I don't have in Share point.  Anyone know how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for taking the time out of your day to read this and help!

Hope

3 Replies

@Hope1330 

I can't speak directly to the Share Point applicability, but here's a solution (example) I created in Excel.

@mathetes 

Thank you for the example, but not sure of what you mean or how you created it.  That's my fault as I'm not very knowledgeable with Excel.  Just know the basics.

Do appreciate you taking the time!!

Hope

@Hope1330 

Thank you for the example, but not sure of what you mean or how you created it. 

Well ... I'm not sure what to make of your reply. You wrote, at the start of this thread, that you were 

"Trying to create a conditional or dependent drop down list for my Maintenance Down Time sheet.  I've created the first drop down list but when I tried to create a dependent drop down list I couldn't figure it out."

And what I created IS an example of a dependent dropdown list. There are, in fact, two different examples, the first having two levels--pick a first name and the second adjusts to reflect the possible second names The "Three levels" tab contains a more abstract example with three possible levels, with each succeeding level changing depending on the choices that precede it. In either case, you have the ability to add more levels in the tables to the far left of the sheet. What you should be doing, assuming you are seeing those dependent drop downs (in the cells with yellow background)....what you should be doing is playing around, to see if it works in the way you'd want yours to work.

I understand that (as a beginner with Excel) you may not follow how to create it...it's even possible that you're not seeing what I created (now that I think of it) because my example relies on the FILTER function which requires Excel 2021 or newer. If you don't have that new a version of Excel, you may not be seeing the dependent drop-down in the first place.

But let's not give up. Are you willing to post a copy of your workbook on OneDrive or GoogleDrive and paste a link here so I and others can have edit access to that actual workbook? 

Or, if that's not possible, let us know what the potential entries might be on the "conditional or dependent drop down list for my Maintenance Down Time sheet" that you're seeking to create.