Conditional LIne/Border insetion

Copper Contributor

Task: to watch changes in column numbers

Objective:

• If number increases from previous row then add border of one color (Green)
  • If number decreases from previous then add border of another color (Red)

Format: Through out one section of a spreadsheet.

Comments: I've looked at conditional formatting and it only 'seems' to work on cell by cell conditioning.  Where I need several hundred cells considered (top to bottom) and marked.  Can this be done. and how is this done if it is possible?

3 Replies

@Peter_Kelley 

You may apply two conditional formatting rule to your entire range starting from second cell in the range

image.png

@Sergei Baklan 

Using a border as the changing element, rather than the background, I have done exactly what you show, and entire area effected only responds to evaluation of Cell $A$1.  The experience on my end suggests that I would have to apply the conditional formatting manually to each and every cell in the section that I want to look at. to achieve what I want.

Trying to be polite.  It would be faster for me just to do this manually (cell by cell) than attempting staging a conditional format that adds a border.  Sorta back to square one.

@Peter_Kelley 

Of course that's your choice. As a comment

- you shall use relative references in the formula, not absolute one

- you may apply any format you wish - borders, background, fonts, whatever. It doesn'r depend on the rule formula

- if you have few separate ranges, after applying CF to one of them, you may copy formatting on another one by Format Painter.