Conditional formattings problems with Mac 2011

Copper Contributor

Hello, I have a spreadsheet for keeping track of my freelance work. I used simple formatting to color the cells that contain each client name (Classic > Format only cells that contain > Specific text). I realized it might also be more readable to also color the cells where I've entered the fee for each project to match the client cell colors. Originally the "applies to" box for each formula only contains the cells of the "client" column, like $A$3:$A$201. I tried searching for how to do this and haven't seen anything similar. So I just added the "fee" column to the "applies to" box like this: $A$3:$A$201,$H$3:$H$201. I genuinely don't know if that's possible, but there were no errors and selection lines now appear around both A and H columns. But the color formatting is still only applying to A column.

Since I hadn't actually seen this option was possible, I also tried doing the whole row (not my preference) with the "use formula to determine which cells to format" and $A3="Client name" which is what I've found online. Nothing happened, and the original formatting disappeared. Curious, I tried the more simple formula for alternating row colors MOD(ROW(),2)=0, and again nothing happened.

I opened a blank workbook, and tried the formula for alternating row colors. Nothing...

I'm a designer and spreadsheets are definitely not my thing! Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thank you so much!

0 Replies