SOLVED

conditional formatting to reference an adjacent cell

Copper Contributor

Hi, most grateful if someone could help me with this. I need a conditional formula that would do the following:

If A1 > 15 then B2 = -5

is this poss?

thanks in advance

4 Replies

@cynalipsis 

It is a bit vague.

What you can do is apply the AND() formula that will compare the both conditions and when sactisfying both will format the cell.

=AND(A1>15,
     B2=-5)

thank you so much for the quick replay. sorry if my request was unclear - what I meant was that when a value in column A reaches a certain level (eg 15) then a fixed (negative) amount (eg -5) is entered in column B one cell down.
It's a sort of cash flow account. whenever a level is reached in A then a fixed withdrawal needs to be entered in B (one cell down, ie the following day)
best response confirmed by cynalipsis (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@cynalipsis 

Only a formula entered into cell B2 is able to set the value of B2.  You could have

= IF(A1>15, -5, other)

but that will prevent you entering any other values into column B.  Any other values would have to be generated from the formula.

@Peter Bartholomew 

Yes, that does exactly what I want - thanks v much!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by cynalipsis (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@cynalipsis 

Only a formula entered into cell B2 is able to set the value of B2.  You could have

= IF(A1>15, -5, other)

but that will prevent you entering any other values into column B.  Any other values would have to be generated from the formula.

View solution in original post