Conditional formatting to be applied to a referenced Table Column turns into regular range reference

Copper Contributor

When I apply any conditional formatting rule to a table column in the rules manager the range to be appied appears as a conventional range and not as a structured reference.

Then I try to overtype it using '=INDIRECT("Table[[ColumnName]]")' but as soon as I push intro that turns into the conventional range again (="$C$R:$C$R"). OFFSET doesn't seem to work either

This is really a problem when rows are coppied and pasted since that leads to a mess in the conditional formatting manager of multiple rules resulting of the original automatical split.

If you try to remove the absolute reference (the "$") from that conventional range to keep that flexible that doesnt work either.

Unlike cells to apply, the CF manager permits you to use structured references in the conditional formula to determine which cells are going to receive the formatt.

This is very strange to me and quite inconvenient.

I found a post in Excel User Voice platform from 2015 in response of which, a Microsoft expert did a kind of survey so if people really wanted to have that fixed, they voted for that. Still in 2017 there are people voting for that (the latest one today, myself)

Could anybody (specially Microsoft staff) explain the reason why this hasn't been implemented yet and if there is any acceptable work around, please?

Thank you very much in advance,

Javier

Here the link to the refered thread:

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10561194...

0 Replies