Conditional Formatting Enquiry

Copper Contributor

Hi, when I do the conditional formatting, some of the cells' category changed, for example, the column should be the "Date" format but all the cells changed to general category, I have to format the cells every time after the conditional formatting, is there any method that could avoid this ?

6 Replies

@Kerokero 

That is strange. Is any number format applied within the rule?

@Sergei Baklan 

Hi Sergei,

I use a formula to determine which cells to format

=A2<>’0826’!A2

I use this to compare two worksheets (let say à yesterday - 0826 and today - 0827)

As below, F2 to F7, the cells not indicate as Date format

Please advise. Thank you so much !

Kerokero_0-1598517738214.png

Is it because A2 cell on the table is general category ? So that all the cells that I use format painter will become general category as well ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

@Kerokero 

In general you don't need format painter, you may apply the rule to entire range, e.g. F2:F100. Keep one colour - one rule approach.

Format painter applies entire formatting, not only conditional one. Thus couple of more questions

- if you add very first time conditional formatting rule to F2 (no one rule was before that) is it converts F2 value from Date to Number format?

- if so, what is here in Format section of the rule?

image.png

@Sergei Baklan 

But I need to compare all the columns between 2 worksheets, in order to sort out what's difference between 2 worksheets, I have to format and fill with colour.

Thanks !

@Sergei Baklan 

All format categories are "General" at first, after formatting, some columns in "Date" showing numbers instead of Date format, therefore I need to change the category from "General" to "Date" format.

@Kerokero 

The question is not how the cell is formatted, but what is number format within the rule. Perhaps you may submit sample file removing sensitive informtaion?