SOLVED

Conditional Formatting a series of numbers

Copper Contributor

I am having trouble with this problem.  I have a series of numbers.  I want to conditionally format those numbers so that any values that are greater than the value above it is displayed in a specific color.  So, for example, if I had the following series of numbers in a column: 

I would want to format this series so that the numbers 27, 42, 58, and 19 would all appear in a specific color (let's say blue).  I've tried using the conditional formatting Format Only Cells That Contain Cell Value Greater Than this formula (=INDEX1:10,ROW()-1,COLUMN()) but this turns ALL the numbers in the column blue.  This isn't all that complex, but I'll be darned if I can find the solution.  Any help would be appreciated.

1 Reply
best response confirmed by The_Major (Copper Contributor)
Solution

My son figured it out for me. =INDEX does work! I needed to erase the COLUMN (because it was an array within a single column) and I had to make the array by clicking and dragging from the top of the spreadsheet instead of just the series itself. I have NO idea why that is important but it works so for those who may need help with this here is the formula that worked for me =INDEX($F$1:$F$500,ROW()-1) In this case the $F$1:$F$500 represents the column the number series appears in. The series doesn't start until row 40 something but now any numbers through row 500 will conform to the formatting.  Alternately, you could simply select the top of the row (row F in the above example) as the array).  I am glad I was able to answer this question (literally) in house and and pass along the information to you.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by The_Major (Copper Contributor)
Solution

My son figured it out for me. =INDEX does work! I needed to erase the COLUMN (because it was an array within a single column) and I had to make the array by clicking and dragging from the top of the spreadsheet instead of just the series itself. I have NO idea why that is important but it works so for those who may need help with this here is the formula that worked for me =INDEX($F$1:$F$500,ROW()-1) In this case the $F$1:$F$500 represents the column the number series appears in. The series doesn't start until row 40 something but now any numbers through row 500 will conform to the formatting.  Alternately, you could simply select the top of the row (row F in the above example) as the array).  I am glad I was able to answer this question (literally) in house and and pass along the information to you.

View solution in original post