Complain and suggestion: chart in PowerPoint and Excel disappeared after i HIDE some columns

Copper Contributor

I have been working on this big presentation and report with MANY charts created in one excel worksheet.

So I hid some columns for easier working, so I can see two very distant column side by side, and I didn't know that just by HIDING, not DELETING, will also automatically make any charts out of the data from those hidden columns DISAPPEAR.

This is a really stupid and useless setting. People create charts because they need them, and they usually hide certain rows/columns also because they NEED to. What makes it worse is that, I have moved these charts to PowerPoint, a BIG presentation that I've been working on for the past week, and have done SO MUCH to make these charts more reader friendly on a small screen, so I draw some lines and highlights ONE BY ONE and now these charts just gone VANISHED after hiding those columns, leaving just the lines and highlights.

I know I can always right click and choose "edit data" and click somewhere on the screen and go back to PowerPoint, the charts will reappear. But do you know when you do that, all the color setting will again reset to Microsoft's default? Not my company's color tone? The whole setting is just stupid and frustrating. I really think Microsoft should improve and update this.

Now I have to re-do the color of EVERY SINGLE CHART and also adjust those extra lines and highlights as they are now all messed up. It's really frustrating you know when you have spent one whole week to make sure the presentation to big boss looks good and clear and now this whatever auto setting of Microsoft is messing it all up.

Please fix it.

1 Reply
and you know what? so after the chart reappeared after i relinked the data source by clicking "edit data", the font is also changed, the color's changed, the data label position has also changed. what logic do you have behind dear microsoft? what logic do you have behind this setting, for you to automatically change your user's charts back into some weird settings, with font I have never chosen before, and color I have never chosen before?

I really just don't get it. I really do hope you can take a look of this issue and see if this is some kind of bug behind all these. Because it just doesn't make any sense. Thank you.