Compare two cells FALSE and TRUE problem

Copper Contributor

Dear all, 

I have a problem when comparing two cells (let's say A10 and D22). The number in A10 results from a sum of several cells (TTL is 121,355), the figure in D22 is just this number (121,355). There are completetely identical. Yet, when I type the formula in another cell =A10=D22 the word FALSE appears instead of TRUE. I typed the same formula comparing again two identical cells and the result TRUE appears. Can you tell me why ?

Thanks & best regards,

4 Replies

@ChantalH Perhaps the summed number isn't exactly 121,355. Increase the number of decimals displayed to 15 and you might find that it's not all zeroes. To fix that, use ROUND(SUM( - - - -- ),0) to be sure that the summed value is rounded to zero decimals.

Hi @ChantalH 

as you write the value in A10 is the result of the sum some other cells, I suspect that there might be some decimals, which are just not shown in the cell. You can easily find out if you click in the formula bar in hit the F9-key:

DTE_0-1649324229814.png

DTE_1-1649324280487.png

(After that, just hit ESC to get the formula back).

Another option would be that the figure in the other cell is not a number, but formatted as a text:

DTE_2-1649324402529.png

Dear DTE,
you were right, there were some decimals, which were just not shown in the cell. So now my formula does work and says TRUE.
Thank you very much for your prompt and accurate reply.
Dear Riny, you were right, there were some decimals, which were just not shown in the cell. So now my formula does work and says TRUE.
Thank you very much for your prompt and accurate reply.