2019-20 (table 1)2020-21 (table 2) 
AB 

If 2nd table less than 1st then weak

if 2nd table greater than 1st then very good

if 2nd table equal to 1st table then average

i need formula to calculate this

6 Replies

@shahid20 

=IF(B3>A3,"very good",IF(B3<A3,"weak",IF(B3=A3,"average")))

You can use a simple nested IF formula. If you work with Office365 or 2021 you can apply IFS as well.

if.JPG 

@OliverScheurich 

@shahid20 

Presumably, though, there are names associated with the grades too...and you want to make sure you're comparing John Doe's grades from the two years....

Is it possible for you, @shahid20 ,to give us the full structure of the two tables? That formula from @OliverScheurich is great for the data you've shared, but I find it hard to believe it's going to be that simple, unless you've already taken care of making sure each row in each table is for the same student.

A*          A     Below expected

A           A      Expected 

C

A*

Above Expected

I need help for formula to show the result (Expected, Above Expected and Below Expected) based on two grades compare

@mathetes @OliverScheurich 

@shahid20 

Cross-posted at Compare two letter grades 

@shahid20 

Hi there

You may try the following steps.

1) Create a Table listing all the possible students' Grades and assign them a value

2) Give the table a Named Range eg. "GradesTable"

Screenshot 2022-10-16 110018.jpg

3) You may use any of the two formulas for the Comparison column

Comparison1 =IF(VLOOKUP(B2,GradesTable,2,0)=VLOOKUP(C2,GradesTable,2,0),"Expected",IF(VLOOKUP(B2,GradesTable,2,0)<VLOOKUP(C2,GradesTable,2,0),"Above Expected","Below Expected"))

Comparison2

=CHOOSE(SIGN(VLOOKUP(C2,GradesTable,2,0)-VLOOKUP(B2,GradesTable,2,0))+2,"Below Expected","Expected","Above Expected")

Screenshot 2022-10-16 110520.jpg

I hope this helps you and gives a solution to your problem

Do let me know if you need more help

Regards

Jeovany