Combo chart - Primary axis data changes when series chart type is changed

Copper Contributor

I am trying to create a combo chart in excel with some data sharing the same primary axis.

When the data is displayed as a combo of bar and line the primary horizontal axis labels/data is correct.

However when I want to change the bar data series to a x/y scatter plot the primary axis changes to a default 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 which I then cannot change.

I saw a similar post where someone had the same issue and it was rectified by changing the series formula for the graph, however I have tried that with no such luck.

Any help would be much appreciated. If useful I can share the data in a onedrive file.

Kind regards

5 Replies

Hi Richard,

First, Select data and edit x/y scatter series. You will see inside Series X value and Series Y value - empty the first.

After that stay on another Series and at the right edit Horizontal Axis Labels, return it back to your original data.

Hi Sergei,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried your suggestion but unfortunately it still does not work. Why I select data and then remove the Series X value, I then cannot edit the horizontal axis label (it is greyed out and unclickable), however for my secondary data I am able to edit it.

I wasn't exactly sure what you meant when you say "After that stay on another Series and at the right edit Horizontal Axis Labels, return it back to your original data."

Please could you elaborate? Or I can post the data set?

Hi Richard,

I did it without secondary axis. In your case you may simply to remove secondary X if it exactly the same as primary one. If you have a sample please attach, I'll play with it.

Hi Sergei,

Thanks a lot for the offer of assistance, I have attached an example data sheet. The sheet has an example of the graph I am trying to create but the only thing is I am trying to get the group (c,2,4,5,8,10,12) as the intervals along the horizontal axis rather than the 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 that is there now.

Many thanks

Richard 

Hi Richard,

I repeated the chart creation, here is step by step. With two axis it's important what you primary series shall be not scatter.

Initial chart:

image.png

Change column on scatter

image.png

If we add secondary horizontal axis (for the scatter) it will be on the top

image.png

Now we shall exchange places for horizontal axis's. Select primary horizontal and format it to cross vertical on maximum category

image.png

image.png

Now format secondary horizontal and put that option on Automatic

image.png

After that remove secondary horizontal axis. Result will be like

image.png

Now only to add cosmetic (error bars, colors, etc.)