Combining two Excels

Copper Contributor

I am full of questions today, my apologies for that. 

We have a report we pull once a month and export to Excel. It includes members names. We add a Comments section, and do research and put comments by each individuals names. The next month, a new report is pulled, with some names being the same and lots of new names. Is there a way I can take the prior months report, and set something up to transfer the comments for only the names of the individuals that are on both months reports? 

5 Replies

@Stinky111 

Yes.

Although I wonder whether it wouldn't make even more sense to approach this a different way: keep the prior report and just add in the new members. You do need a way to identify those who are no longer members, which we can deal with separately. 

But in order for anybody to give you truly specific and helpful advice, it would be helpful if you could give us a sampling of how your data are laid out. No real names please, or any other identifiable data, but if you could post a mock-up of the two files--the one with comments and the "raw" version--a mockup with false names (say the names of Disney characters)....

Thank you! I have it made and ready to post. However, I cannot seem to figure out how to include it in a reply to you, or to edit the original post to include it. Do I have to make an entire new discussion?
Please disregard my last reply, I figured it out shortly after hitting send. I have attached the example to the original post. I included 3 lines, with 3 names. There are typically about 1500 though.

@Stinky111 

I'm thinking that Power Query may be what you need, which I don't use (not available on Mac)....so I'm going to refer you to a couple of other experts here, hoping that one of them will be able to give you a solution.

@Sergei Baklan  @Peter Bartholomew  @Hans Vogelaar

Thank you! No worries at all. I appreciate you trying, and possibly getting me in touch with the ones who can!