Combining multiple non-numeric drop down menu values to produce a numeric pay rate value

Copper Contributor

I am trying to create an IF/Then formula using the results of multiple drop-down menus with non-numeric values to produce a currency value.  I and my co-workers receive work through a union hiring hall to which we get sent to multiple different venues working for multiple different companies performing a variety of different pay rated tasks throughout the year.  Not all companies pay the same rates for similar tasks, and different tasks within individual companies have different pay rates.  Basically, I have listed out every calendar day of the year as my rows for the sheet with timekeeping columns of information.  I have a drop-down menu for a user to select which company they worked for and another drop menu for the user to select which crew they were performing tasks.  I want the formula to populate the pay rate column with the correct value once the user has selected the company-crew combination from the drop-down menus.  

I obviously already have the Data Validation drop-down menu lists for the Company and Crew choices and also have made a list of varying pay rates.  I am looking for the most efficient way to refer to the value combinations to produce the final value, please.

I already have the total money made for the day calculated using the pay rate multiplied by the various types of hours categories like straight time, overtime, double-time, etc.  I eventually want to make it so that when I enter time period values it will automatically populate the straight, over, & double-time values automatically, so any help on that regard would be appreciated as well to make that formula more efficient.

1 Reply

I found a way to do it tediously by referring to each combo pair individually and attaching the desired result to the formula.  I was hoping someone might know a way to do groups together.  Like if I wanted to group 4 companies together who have the same pay rate for a task, then group 6 companies together of a different pay rate of the same task kind of thing.