SOLVED

Combine request

Copper Contributor

Hey Guys,

I'm operating with Windows 10 and Excel 365 and I want to combine two requests. One column with a long list (1) of items should be merged with a second list (2), consisting of a lane with a portion of items with the same name as of list (1) in a different order and another lane with the corresponding volume. The list (2) will expand step by step with bigger chunks - as it does so, a new list (3) should finally contain both, items and the related volume. Special requirement: In list (2) there will be cases, where the value of the volume is either 0 or the item won't even show up at all. Both cases should be represented in list (3) as value 0 in the volume column.

Maybe Power-Query might be the right tool for it, but all my approaches didn't yield the wished result, so I hope, you can help me.

Regards

G_rendel

3 Replies
best response confirmed by G_rendel (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@G_rendel Not sure if I got it right, but please have a look at the attached workbook. With PQ I could create a table like your List 3. It takes List 2 as the starting point and finds  "missing" parts in the Item sequence in comparison to List 1.  I've used only GUI commands. No M-coding required.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much. Apparently, I'm not even able to recreate those simply GUI commands on my own, but your table will do the job for now. Any recommendations for good PQ-tutorials? I'm pretty intrigued of it and would like to take a further approach.

@G_rendel This would be a good start.

https://exceloffthegrid.com/power-query-introduction/ 

After that, GOOGLE !!! There's sooooo much out there. Just formulate a search string that roughly describes what you want including the words "Power Query" and off you go.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by G_rendel (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@G_rendel Not sure if I got it right, but please have a look at the attached workbook. With PQ I could create a table like your List 3. It takes List 2 as the starting point and finds  "missing" parts in the Item sequence in comparison to List 1.  I've used only GUI commands. No M-coding required.

View solution in original post