Combine data from many cells into one cell, automagically

Copper Contributor

So we're switching over from Connectwise to Salesforce at the MSP (Managed Service Provider) I work at, and need to move our client data into the new system. Our Connectwise database has been reduced down to a huge CSV file, and the data will need to be associated with Company IDs in Salesforce. The problem I'm running into is that the CSV file from Connectwise divides the company asset data into super specific cells to where each piece of information has it's own cell.

Example:

Excel1.PNG

Super specific rows that break down each data into basically Office > Config Type > specific Question & Answer in its own cell

For Salesforce, it's less specific, and will only allow for the information to be added at the Config Type level. So basically, I need to have the information in the Question & Answer columns combined into one cell, but still separated by Config Type.

Example:

Excel2.PNG

Simpler Salesforce Upload CSV template. I'll need to correlate the CW office IDs with the SF office IDs too, but I think I can do that well enough

I also can't manually go through and do this as there are about 400+ worksheet tabs of data (each Office has its own tab) with 500+ rows of data in each. Other than concatenating the data from the Question column into the Answer column (which was pretty cool!), I have no idea how to achieve this. Is there a formula that can be written or a macro or even an Excel plugin that would give me this functionality? If I haven't been clear on anything, please ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Here is what I'm going for in terms of output:

Excel3.PNG

So you can see how the information from the separate cells of Dentrix config name are all now together in one cell (Data), but then for the next config name, DXImage, it should skip to a new cell. So on and so forth down the page ad infinitum...

1 Reply

@clegend I would suggest you look into (or learn more about) Power Query. But without a sample file to play with, it's difficult to explain exactly how.