Colour Code a cell with wording matching the colour based on Data across Excel Spread Sheet

Copper Contributor

Hello All! 

I hope I can explain this correctly cause I'm still trying to understand in my head what I'm attempting to do!

Keep in mind that the purpose behind this is for Power BI which works off of Tables from Excel.

Currently I have 12 Metrics that we are tracking.  Each has a target and based on those targets they'll either be Red, Amber, or Green.  These will then be tell us how we're currently doing.  Ie. Less than 6 are considered Red, 7-9 puts us in the Amber and Anything above 10 means we're in the green.

I have an excel sheet with all the data we track each month built into tables and on separate sheets, from their I've created another sheet for the Overview which I'm looking to have two single column tables based on the data.

The first table will be last months results (which I'm linking from each of their respective pages (hopefully it'll update on its own but we'll see how that goes next month :D) that'll show Green, Red, Amber based on the original Target numbers.  Ie.  If Data A is below 40% it's red, between 40%-49% Amber and Above 50%.

So, I'd like it to have set parameters for it to go off of that will highlight the cells in those 3 colours based on the various targets for each category (hope that makes sense)

The last table I would like it to scan those 12 cells count how many greens are there and then display in Colour and word where we sit.  As before 10+ Green, 7-9 Amber, 1-6 Red.  From this I "should" be able to create a Card Visual in Power BI that displays the word and updates every time new data is entered into the original sheets.

I hope this makes sense but if it's confusing please let me know and I'll create a diagram to what I'm trying to do. :D

1 Reply

@KilJhard 

I hope I can explain this correctly
cause I'm still trying to understand
in my head
what I'm attempting to do!

That's not an encouraging start. Perhaps the most important step in getting Excel to do what you want it to is to be able to put that desire into words, clear words. This may be why, after some 60 views, you've still had no response.

I hope this makes sense but

if it's confusing please let me know

and I'll create a diagram to [illustrate] what I'm trying to do.

Better yet, create a spreadsheet--you may already have it--with the data (or a mockup that accurately represents the data, if the real stuff is confidential)--and an example or two of what you're trying to do. Images alone aren't anywhere close to as helpful as an actual spreadsheet. Post it on OneDrive or GoogleDrive and paste a link here that grants access.