SOLVED

circular reference warning stops me opening the file in excel

Copper Contributor
I am using Office 2013 also Office 365 on other laptop. I have a worksheet I have been using for almost 2 years without a problem and have been updating every single day, However I can no longer access the file because it comes up with a 'circular reference' warning and won't let me get any further the excel wont open its just blank.

Thanks
10 Replies
You can temporarily disable that warning by File > Options then Formulas Enable iterative calculation and see if you can open the file and if it has data.
If you do not see any data, then probably your excel file is corrupted.
Appreciate your reply .. True, but it does not open, after the error
*A circular reference can be a formula that refers to its own cell value, or refers to a cell dependent on its own cell value * i select ok, then it says *you can continue without updating their values, or edit the links you think are wrong* i select continue (both options tried) then its blank and all option are greyed out cant do any changes to formula options or anything else ..

some follow up questions.

what happens if you open another file? will it open correctly? is it just this file that causing the issue?

Do you have any workbook in your Excel start up folder?

could you post a screenshot of the grayed out excel? 

best response confirmed by Jamil Mohammad (Bronze Contributor)
Solution
Lastly i could open it ... i opened a new excel file.. go to file/options/formulas/circulation options/ select to manual, then press ok, then go to file again select open select the target file then at the option of (open) near the file name select open and repair, should bring up repair and extract data option select extract data then select recover formulas select ok again and it openes perfectly ... thank you for all the help and your time everyone
You are welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

I know how much i have struggled till now and how important the data is for me .. one person had same problem and he posted in this same forum bt then he commented then that he found a way to fix his file so just ignore his post... bt he never mentioned how he did it.. so i hope whoever will have this type of problem then these steps might help him/her.. happy to recover all my data .. thanks again
that is nice of you that you wrote on how you found the solution to the issue, that is why I marked your answer as "best response and answer" to the issue.
Thanks for your time and support brother ..

@Zainool Budha Hi, I have read the response which was given to open the circular reference but i am unable to follow the step to open the same.

Request if you can guide, as even I have one file which I was using for some years now and suddenly i have started getting this warning message and file is not opening at all.

Please help the data in that is very critical.

I followed your steps and tried opening the file through open but it still doesn't open. I don't see open &repair options either. Any suggestions ?

@Zainool Budha 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jamil Mohammad (Bronze Contributor)
Solution
Lastly i could open it ... i opened a new excel file.. go to file/options/formulas/circulation options/ select to manual, then press ok, then go to file again select open select the target file then at the option of (open) near the file name select open and repair, should bring up repair and extract data option select extract data then select recover formulas select ok again and it openes perfectly ... thank you for all the help and your time everyone

View solution in original post