Circular Reference Enabled Yet Warning Still Pops Up

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have enabled circular reference with maximum iterations set to 1.  When I close and reopen the file, I do NOT receive the pop-up warning about circular references.  However, this is a shared file that enables users to save a copy to fill out.  I can not use VBA.  Is there any way to stop the warning from popping up when other users open the file for the first time?  The cell that has the circular reference is for a timestamp - and the cell is locked from other users being able to even select the cell.  I'm using Office 365.

Thanks,

SH

4 Replies
Can't you use a Form to get the same information from your users?
It automatically time-stamps the entries and you can download the results to Excel:
https://www.office.com/launch/forms

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

Thank you for your reply.  However, there are calculations needed in the excel file.  Also the file is filled out for information specific to one thing, one time.  Each time it's filled out it is for a different item.  Basically I am using a spreadsheet for people to use to enter data/information every time the are managing a new item.    Unless I am just too 'new' to forms I do not think it is applicable for what I am trying to do.  

1.  Using a form, can you save and continue at a later time?

2.  Can you download each 'response' to Excel individually?  I notice you can download the table but I'd need separate Excel sheets per 'response' submitted.  The printed form is 'too much' and not really 'concise' in my opinion.  (If there are more than one option as in 'choose one' I don't want to see all choices - just the one selected, etc. etc.)  I don't see a way you can 'open in excel' individually.  ??

@SHLYONS I'm afraid you'll have to educate your users to open the file and turn on iterations when they see the warning pop up. Though luckily Excel nowadays no longer saves the wrong iteration state with the file anymore.

@Jan Karel Pieterse I appreciate your insight and efforts to help!