Check boxes

Copper Contributor

Hello out there,

I would appreciate any help with this problem:

I have a very handy Excel version 10 checklist that I use for work. The check boxes are in a single column "A" of a spreadsheet. If the check box is checked off the word "true" shows up on the same row in column "F". The problem is once in awhile I want to add a line item or new row between two rows with check boxes in the column. Usually I do this cause I have a new product that I want to add in a certain spot in the spread sheet.  In this new row that I create by "inserting" a new line a new check box  is automatically created. The only problem is my new row I created is row 17 and the newly created check box is programmed to put the word "true" when checked off into row 18 for some reason, not 17?  Plus to make matters worse all the  check boxes below row 17 are now programmed to put "true' in the row below them instead of the same row as the check box. Eg. check box in row 18 when checked of puts the word "true" in row 19 instead of row 18 and so on for all those other rows below where I inserted the new row. Now I have to go down and reprogram each check box to respond to the correct row which can be a long process sometimes depending where I want to insert. I very seldom am able to put a row at the end of the column as the new line items need to be put in their proper category. 

Just wondering if someone is aware of this problem and can think of easy cure without having to do a VB program? 

Thanks in advance for your help and look forward to your reply.

2 Replies

This may not be the best solution but one thing you could try is to select all the check box controls below the row you inserted and drag them down a row.  If your sheet auto inserted a check box control with your row then you would have an extra check box below your last row that you can simply delete, otherwise your last check box should line up with your last row.

To select the check box controls instead of cells go to the home tab on your ribbon and select the icon all the way to the right "Find & Select".  From the drop down choose "Select Objects".  Now you can drag a box around your check boxes and move them.  When your done you would need to repeat this step this time deselecting "Select Objects".  Now you can select individual cells again.

I will give this a try. Thank you very much!