Changing default date format for CSV download

Copper Contributor

I have a web application that collects information including dates.  I can download the information in a CSV file.  The date value that is collected is stored in the cell with the mm/dd/yyyy format but is displayed as mm/dd/yy.  Is there a way to change the default way the cell value is displayed so that it is always mm/dd/yyyy ?

Here is a link to a screenshot.  Screenshot of CSV file date format (it's also in the attachment)

2 Replies
Hello,

Do follow the steps below to permanently change date format

1. Type in Control Panel on your system
2. Under Clock and Region, click on Change date, time or number formats
3. Click on Additional Settings
4. Select Date tab
5. In the Date Formats section, clear what you have there and type in mm/dd/yyyy
5. Click OK and OK.

When you return to Excel and your CSV files, all the date with turn to mm/dd/yyyy

Do let me know how it pans out after following the steps

Nothing works for me on this. I open/import a CSV file and the column of dates is all dd-mmm-yy. I'm always having to format to mmm-dd-yyyy.

Excel does recognize the data as a date.

I've been through all Options in Excel (365 Business - Win 10) and all Control Panel (new and old) settings for time, date and other regional default settings. I even put mmm-dd-yyyy as both the long and the short date format. All to no avail.

While asking about default settings, is there a way to quickly change column width to fit the contents? Or set that as default?

Even created a macro to set the above but that can get quite tedious to after a while.

Thank you.