Changing Data Source

Copper Contributor

Hello,

when trying to extend the range of a current data source for a pivot table, to add additional data, the pivot table will delete itself, and then makes me recreate the table. 

Even when I don't change the range it will still delete the pivot table and create a new one. 

This does not happen with other reports that I've created. Is there a reason that it is doing this?

Thank you for your help.

-Chris

2 Replies

@cjkim92 

Interesting situation, needing a diagnostic approach. I used to teach diagnostic processes.... How to figure out why NOW or HERE or under these particular circumstances "X" is happening, when it doesn't at other times, places or circumstances?

To do this, you really need to think through what is different about this particular report (when compared with others you've done), and it could very well be some very obscure detail, or it could be something so obvious, staring you in the face, that you just haven't seen.

So a few questions to stimulate your thinking:

• what might be different about the parameters of this pivot table this time?
  • what might be different about the nature of the data elements involved?
  • what might be different about the size of the data source (# of rows, # of columns)?
  • what might be different about the way you've set up the Pivot Table itself?
  • etc

There may be other questions along those lines....but I hope that would get you started. The key here, when there's some elusive cause, is that either something is different, OR something may have changed (new Excel update?)(new computer?)

I'm having this problem too.  Did you ever figure it out?