Central Library for User Functions

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I've created a set of User Functions and saved them in an .xlam file so they're accessible to workbooks on my local filesystem. However, I'd like to make them more generally available to other users in the company. Is it possible to make user functions more globally available by storing them on SharePoint or similar?

Thanks for any pointers.

2 Replies
Easiest is to place them on a network share. If you remember to set the file as read-only (right-click in Explorer, choose Properties) after copying it there, you can easily replace the file when you have to update it. Make sure to instruct the users to click No when Excel offers to copy the file to the add-ins folder. If users also need to use the file when not connected, best to use an entirely different aproach as I've demonstrated here: https://jkp-ads.com/articles/updateanaddin.asp

Thanks@Jan Karel Pieterse for a very comprehensive answer!

Sadly, there is no common network share across our organization and I need to host the add-in on SharePoint/OneDrive. If I browse to find the SharePoint-hosted add-in, Excel won't accept the SharePoint URL as a location.

I'll work through your alternative approach to see if I can get anything like that going via SharePoint.

Once again - many thanks!! :)