cells with data copied from html the numbers are not able to do calculations

Copper Contributor

Simple task at hand, wanted a percentage on category of deduction from salary gross.  Copied and pasted values from online statement.  Excel tells me that the cell is wrong data type, so tried to convert cells to numbers, but could not do that either.  At a loss for what's wrong with the program.  Tried value formula, and that did not work.  Tried copy and special paste and that did not work, tried text to columns and that did not work.  Not sure what else to do other than type in the values, but as a programmer there should be a system solution, it will help me indenify with how excel sees my data.   I did a type formula and that came back with type 2, which is a text data type.  Working with excel 2016MSO (16.0.8431.2046) 32-bit.  Just checked for updates, and the software is upto date as of 07:06 AM 10/02/2017.  Found the problem after an hour of exploring different options:

=TRIM(CLEAN(SUBSTITUTE(E3,CHAR(160)," "))) was the solution.   aka E3 was the and cells below were the problem cells.

2 Replies

Hi Joel,

Most probably some non-printable characters. Try to apply like

=CLEAN(A1)*1

Your right it was some non printable characters in the field from which my clipboard picked up, thank you.