Cell width

Copper Contributor

I have differnt amounts of products. I wanted to make rows of the available numbers to cross them out one by one.

so, for instance, If I have 3 of 80, 5 of 85, 10 of 90, and 2 of 95, I wanted to do

80        3          2         1

85    5    4     3     2     1

90  10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 

95             2                1

"center across selection" does not give me what I want as, although the last number is justified, none of the other numbers are.

Thank you

3 Replies

@earwiglet 

First of all, this sounds like you're using Excel for (in a way) non-Excel purposes. By which I mean, Excel just happens to have a way to organize info in rows and columns, and, yes, do some alignment and justification with those pieces of info. But you seem to have taken a process that on paper would be just a matter of laying out numbers on a sheet so as to be able to cross them off....and superimposed that on Excel's row/column format.

If that's right (or even close), could I ask you to back  up a bit and describe, using other words, what you're doing.

It sounds as if it could be some kind of inventory management or inventory tracking....and if that's the case, there may be altogether different ways to do it, ways that really take advantage of Excel's abilities to manipulate data, rather than just using it because it arrays your numbers neatly in a row.

Frankly, if all you really want is a layout that you can use to cross numbers out...you might find Word to be more amenable, that Word's Table formatting abilities might come closer to what you're trying to accomplish.

Either way, though, if you could provide a more complete "business" description of the context of your request, I'm sure there are several of us who could offer suggestions.

Hi @mathetes 

It is exactly inventory!

You say I should try word? Let me try that. Thanks.

@earwiglet 

You say I should try word? Let me try that. Thanks.

Just to be clear, that suggestion was based on the perception that you were mainly looking for help in formatting a row of figures so they could be manually crossed off, i.e., using Excel to create a nice looking piece of paper.

FWIW, PowerPoint --treating each figure as a text box of its own--gives even more flexibility in placement.

My Excel-specific recommendation would be more along the lines of finding an Excel-based template for inventory tracking, hopefully one that employs a good database design in the background; then you'd be using Excel to do the heavy lifting.