Cell Text expanding and not expanding

Copper Contributor

In my spreadsheet, I have one cell that displays text exactly as typed.  On the next row, I type the same text in a cell and when I enter, it expands.  I did nothing to cause this and I can't find any differences in formatting for either cell.  I prefer text exactly as typed but am mainly looking for consistency.  Can anyone help?

8 Replies

@tgivens What do you mean by "it expands"? Can you upload a screenshot, please?

@Riny_van_Eekelen  One line stays exactly as you type it.  On the next line, once you hit enter, the text spreads out to the right, out of the bound of the cell if there's enough text.  The sentence "expands" beyond what was originally typed.

@tgivens 

Like one of

image.png

or something different?

@Sergei Baklan No, it's different.  I have attempted to attach a file which shows a sheet illustrating the problem.  The first line is exactly how I saw it when I typed it.  The second and third lines show how the line "expanded".  And I can't find any difference in the formatting of the 3 lines, yet lines 2+3 added space between letters.

@tgivens 

That could be different fonts applied

image.png

Did you try Format painter first cell on other ones?

@tgivens 

I don't see extra spaces. Like @Sergei Baklan suggested it's a different font. In this case a monospaced font (each character has the same width).

If you get the length of each cell it should be same.

=LEN(A1)

=LEN(A2)

=LEN(A3)

Why didn't you upload the xlsx-file?

@Sergei Baklan Thank you Sergei!  I tried format painter and was able to make all of the cells do the way I wanted.  I still wish I knew why it had changed.  I never wanted the "expanded" version and I wouldn't know how to change it if that first line hadn't changed to "what you see is what you get" format.  Anyway, thank you again for your help.

@Detlef Lewin Actually, I uploaded that file because I don't know how to do a screenshot and I needed to show an example of the problem.  Everything I saw in the spreadsheet was saying each line had the same font but it seems that it was spreading the letters on the 2nd and 3rd line after I hit enter.