Cell format & formula

Copper Contributor

I need help with something. I am trying to do vlookup forumula and some of the cells pulled the correct info over and some have not. I was trying to make sure all the data was formatted correctly and sorted right to eliminate possibilities for why its not pulling the info over. And I found an issue that might be the problem. 

Sheet 1 has Invoice info with check information. The first column is the Invoice#.

Sheet 2 has invoice info withOUT the check info. The first column is the Invoice#

I'm trying to pull the check info over to sheet 2. 

So I sorted each sheet by Invoice#

On Sheet 1 when I click on Sort, it comes up Alphabetical sort (A-Z)

On Sheet 2 it wants to sort Numerically (Largest to smallest)

Obviously the first thing i did was try to change the format of that column but it doesn't work. I change the format but when I go to sort, it says the same thing. I'm guessing this is why my vlookup isn't working right. I tried changing the format for both sheets to "GENERAL", I tried TEXT, I tried several things. But one sheet wants to sort one way and the other sorts another way. 

I tried copying the info and pasting the values without formatting to another sheet. 

please help!

2 Replies

@jennylowe 

Could you attach a sample workbook (without sensitive data), or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar? Thanks in advance.

@jennylowe 

In general VLOOKUP or any other lookup function shall work if you have both text or both number for the Invoice #. Soring doesn't matter. Perhaps you may provide small sample file?