Cannot co-author excel file live over 5mb

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Me and my team are trying to work on a few excel files that are over 5mb in size, even when we "clean them up". We can share these files offline but we cannot open them online to edit/co-autor live.
When we try an error message comes up stating the file is over 5mb and so we need to use the desktop version. Anyone here knows what can I do to lift this restriction? Can we upgrade from our current 365 Family subscription to something that will allow us to work on files over 5mb Online, Live?

As temporary solution I have converted the Excel sheet into binary format (not sure what it really is) and at least I could open that online in the browser - but as soon as I do as much as type in a character into a cell the file "magically" size jumps above the limit and an error message pops up.. at that point the file is broken and even the desktop app warns me that some data is missing/cannot be recovered...

I'd really like to lift this restriction, a comfortable limit would be 20mb but I could live with 10mb - whatever is possible really...

Any help is appreciated
7 Replies
Highlighted

@huginori 

First thing:  You need to remove this file as soon as possible...it includes a lot of personal info on your customers and I'm sure none of them would appreciate that.

Second: without looking too extensively at what you have, it appears that there's a fair amount of redundancy of data, which suggests that a total re-design might serve to reduce the size of the file. A good database design would eliminate all (or most) of the redundancy. This has the look of something that began when the company was small and now has grown and grown--good for the business--but this inventory and order tracking system is reaching (or has reached) its limits. Do you have anybody who knows databases who could really re-design this for you? Can you hire somebody locally?

An alternative: you might be well advised to look for a good dedicated inventory management system.

Another alternative: convert this from Excel to Access--which is Microsoft's database system.

Truly, though, it looks to me as if you need to get somebody and pay them to do a total overhaul.

Highlighted

@huginori 

With Family subscription you have desktop applications, why don't you keep files on OneDrive and co-author them opening in desktop Excel? That's more suitable than edit in web client.

Highlighted

Many thanks for pointing this out - I cannot seem to find how to remove the file and now freaking out, it was beyond stupid of me to upload this file.

Yes, I will indeed look into redesigning this particular file but overall I am looking at options we can use to collaborate live on an excel sheet with the full extent of Excel's features. So while a redesign would sold the problem regarding this particular file it won't solve the overall issue.
I'd love to get Microsoft to allow us working on files larger than 5mb, we'd be willing to pay for it if there was a package without this restriction of file size...

Highlighted

@Sergei Baklan if we open from One Drive and edit on desktop Excel we cannot see each other's changes/contributions live - that would be the most important part for me to be able to work on this just the same as we would on Google sheets - but we do need the full extent of the Excel features such as editing formulas that draw data from separate tabs which we cannot do on Sheets...

Highlighted

@mathetes can you still see the file attached? I cannot, I wonder if it has been removed automatically... Sorry to ask you but I don't seem to find it and so I cannot find how to remove it. 

Highlighted

@huginori 

That is strange, Excel Desktop and Excel Online work in co-authoring mode by exactly the same way. Please check here in FAQ Collaborate on Excel workbooks at the same time with co-authoring if you don't meet some requirements for that. As variant co-authoring could be switched-off in settings of your desktop applications. 

Highlighted

@huginori 

The file was removed, at my request, by the system moderator. They did it, in this case, faster than I've ever seen it done before. Had they not done so, you would have been able to do it by entering the Edit mode on your original post and then delete the attachment.

As a general rule, though, the website prohibits the posting of any spreadsheets that contain proprietary or personal information.....and that especially applies to lists of customers, patients, etc. It's an easy mistake to make the first time, but make that your learning experience.