SOLVED

Cannot access Help

Copper Contributor

For the last few weeks, every time I try to access Help, I get an error message "Sorry, something went wrong.  Please check your network connection and try again."

I'm using Excel in Microsoft 365 on a stand-alone laptop computer (ie, I'm not on a network).  I presume 'network connection' above refers to the internet connection but that is fine and works for everything else.

Grateful for any ideas on what's causing the error.

11 Replies

@LindsayGraham 

Not quite sure why you're asking. You put your finger on the explanation.

If you're not on a network, which you say IS the case, then that IS the cause of the "error message." There is no connection to check, as there is no connection to be checked. But the absence of a connection would be the reason you're not able to access Help.

Microsoft could possibly word the message a bit more broadly, to cover your situation as well. It's worded as it is -- "check your network connection" -- because they're presuming that at this point in 2023, everybody IS connected in some way or other to the internet. It's taken as a given.

Thank you for your reply, @mathetes, but I'm sorry to say it makes no sense to me.

As I said in my original post, "the internet connection ... is fine and works for everything else."  I had assumed (because I could see no other possible explanation), that the Microsoft term 'network connection' meant something different from 'internet connection'.  If, as you say, the terms have the same meaning, back to my original question -- why does Excel tell me to check my network connection when the internet connection is working fine? 

@LindsayGraham 

It appears that your internet connection is not working fine for Excel.  The 'network' in question is just the wifi or ethernet cable that links your computer to a hub/router and then on to the internet.

Peter, I now understand that the Microsoft term 'network connection' refers to, or includes, an 'internet connection'. As I've said, my internet connection works fine for everything else -- why on earth would it not work for Excel? That's what I'm asking.
best response confirmed by LindsayGraham (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Check your office account status through File | Account (You can do this through Excel, Word, PowerPoint, or Outlook - 'Office Account' in that app.). There's likely an account error. Usually these can be fixed by Sign Out and then Sign In again. If the account puts up a fight, restart the computer and try to sign in again.
Thank you, Patrick -- you hit the nail on the head! It appears there were some updates that I'd not installed when I last renewed Microsoft 365. All now fixed.
Glad it worked!

@LindsayGraham 

Thank you for your reply, @mathetes, I'm sorry to say it makes no sense to me.

As I said in my original post, "the internet connection ... is fine and works for everything else.

But in your original post you ALSO said  "I'm using Excel in Microsoft 365 on a stand-alone laptop computer (ie, I'm not on a network)." [emphases added]  

Just saying; I think my confusion in trying to interpret your situation is understandable.

Great Patrick - had same problem - ran the updates (I thought they were set up to go automatically) and can now access Help. Cheers.
I am getting this same message, not only is my laptop connected by Ethernet it is also connected by Wi-Fi, it is maddening when you are trying to do something new and your assistant keeps going out of the room! Every time it happens I have to save my spreadsheet, close Excel and reopen for "Help" to re-establish an internet connection!
I've had this annoying problem for a while and what I finally figured out is that I also had to be logged into a microsoft.com account. In my case, I logged into this techcommunity and relaunched Excel and the Help System is now there.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by LindsayGraham (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Check your office account status through File | Account (You can do this through Excel, Word, PowerPoint, or Outlook - 'Office Account' in that app.). There's likely an account error. Usually these can be fixed by Sign Out and then Sign In again. If the account puts up a fight, restart the computer and try to sign in again.

View solution in original post