Can’t right click and paste in excel

Copper Contributor

Have you ever lost your ability to right click & paste into cells in excel?  I have and don’t know how to fix it. 

Lawana

10 Replies

@Lawana1973 

To be able to reuse them, open the affected workbook in Excel and press the "Alt" and "F11" keys on your keyboard at the same time.

A new window will open, press the "Ctrl" or "Ctrl" and "G" keys.

Enter the following command in the opened window below (you can simply copy it):

Application.CommandBars("Cell").Enabled = True

Confirm with Enter and then press the "Alt" and "Q" keys to close the window.

The right mouse button should work now :).

Hope I was able to help you with this info.

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

wow @NikolinoDE 

It worked, I didn't even understand what it meant, just blindly input what you suggested! thanks v much!

I'm glad it helped you.
Furthermore, I wish you much success with Excel.

@NikolinoDE 

Hi I am having a similar issue to this, i have done what you said but also had to do it for rows and columns also but i still cannot copy the contents of a cell if highlighted the contents? If i select any data from a cell i cannot get any functions come up from right clicking. only if i ctrl + c then ctrl + v can i copy and paste

@Daveross 

@NikolinoDE 

I have come across that exact same issue on a user in our business and I also did what @NikolinoDE  said and cannot fix it.

Ctrl + C an Ctrl +V works fine and also the Copy and Paste functions from the Ribbon itself works fine, but it does not work from RightClick.  It is greyed out....

We work on a Terminal server and all users access Excel from the terminal server via their RDC logins.

This only happens with one user.  Other users (including myself on my login) do not experience it.

The important thing is that it is a terminal server so the issue is with that user's profile.??...

Any help will be appreciated.

Can I also just add..... This only happens when that users uses Excel. It does not happen when he uses Word or Outlook.
I’ve found a fix. In users\”user name”\appdata\roaming\microsoft\excel delete the excel15.xlb file and if present the XLSTART file reopen excel. It then works perfectly again

@Daveross81 

Thanks for this Dave.    I have deleted both of those in that users  \appdata\roaming\microsoft\excel folder and will see when he is back if that is restored.    Thanks for your help.....!

@Lawana1973 

I just purchased Microsoft Office 365 after upgrading to a new Mac laptop.  I was also getting frustrated with this issue-and realize I'm late to the party :). Anyway, I looked at many message boards and could not find a fix that seemed to work.

I am not a tech person, so my non-tech answer is that I stumbled into a work around. When I've been highlighting the area I want to right click on, it hasn't been working consistently. For example, I would highlight several cells and right click and it would pop up the right click menu and then the next time it wouldn't. What I discovered is that if I highlight the area I want to right click on, THEN move my pointer away from the selected area, and then move it back to the selected area and right click, it works!  Moving the pointer into the selected area and right clicking also works. This wasn't something I had to do in past versions of excel. shrug. Hope this helps someone. 

@Jessica7777 Thanks for that idea, I will try when mine next plays up! and report back -Have a nice day!